At that point, I had 357 stitches. I stopped and worked an edging with one of Barbara Walker's openwork pattern stitches. It's called Slip-Stitch Mesh and is a 6 row repeat for an odd number stitches. It's mostly just knit, purl, with 2 rows of slip stitches and one row of yarn overs. I did three repeats and decided I was done.
I bound off with a crochet hook--working two stitches with single crochet, and 3 chains between each sc.
I also worked a simple single crochet edging along the top edge. I stitched this with both strands of yarn held together, working into the yo hole along each row. It worked well to conceal the strands that were carried along the edge for the color changes.
I crocheted the flower on the shawl pin, which I worked with 16 gauge wire.
The shawl pattern itself was very easy with mid-point YO increases every other row, and yo increases at each end on every row. It took 3 months of working a few rows most every night. I love how it turned out--very soft and supple!