This was my first 100% wool shawl. I knit it with a fingering-weight merino wool called Salvia from JL Yarn.
I bought this yarn on eBay and it was so gorgeous that it went right on the needles, instead on into the stash. I made a top-down triangular shawl using a free pattern called Rascal from the Drops Design website. It is actually a child's kerchief, but I just kept going until I ran out of room on the needles. (I used US 4 circular needles, and they were 36 inches long.)
I used two different colorways: one was mostly turquoise shades, and the other one had a bold variegation that ran from turquoise to golden yellow to burgundy.
I alternated the colors every several rows, unil I got to the end, then I worked the border with the turquoise only.
I also worked a simple single crochet edging along the top edge. I stitched this with both strands of yarn held together, working into the yo hole along each row. It worked well to conceal the strands that were carried along the edge for the color changes.
I crocheted the flower on the shawl pin, which I worked with 16 gauge wire.
The shawl pattern itself was very easy with mid-point YO increases every other row, and yo increases at each end on every row. It took 3 months of working a few rows most every night. I love how it turned out--very soft and supple!